Here’s a look at what you will learn in each module:
1. Brief Look at the History of Cannabis
Cannabis has been around forever … literally! In this module we touch on the highlights of this rich history from antiquity to today.
You will learn that:
- Cannabis has accompanied human exploration of the world for millennia, providing help in four areas of our life.
- During the 19th and early 20th centuries Canadian and American medical doctors regularly prescribed cannabis for various health conditions.
- Prior to prohibition medical textbooks included information about how to use cannabis as a medicine.
- The real reason for cannabis prohibition is not what they told you.
- A chemist’s research in the 1960s led to the discovery of an important physiological system.
2. 10 Common Cannabis Myths
Now that you know a little about cannabis’ history, we’ll explore ten common myths about cannabis that were the center of prohibition propaganda for over 70 years.
- Is cannabis an addictive gateway drug or as dangerous as we were told?
- Does cannabis use lead to long-term health problems?
- Will cannabis use cause weight gain?
- Where is the research?
- Are cannabis users always walking around impaired?
Learn the answer to these questions and more in this fun and light-hearted lesson.
3. Getting to Know Your Endocannabinoid System
Within each of us is a biological system as important as our other vital organ systems. But you didn’t learn about the endocannabinoid system in school!
In this fascinating module you will learn:
- When the endocannabinoid system was discovered.
- The three main components of the ECS.
- How the endocannabinoid system works.
- Why this system is vital to our health and well being.
- The difference between CB1 and CB2.
4. Benefits of Cannabis Medicine
Is cannabis really a viable medicine or just an excuse for people to get high? By the end of this video you will definitely understand that cannabis is absolutely a viable medicine!
By the time you are finished watching the Benefits of Cannabis Medicine you will have a good understanding how cannabis can help manage or treat 13 common medical conditions, including:
- Brain health
- Creative stimulant … and more!
5. Strain Basics
Indica, Sativa, Hybrid?
- What these terms mean
- Why they mean something different than they did 40 years ago
- Why hybrids are most common today
- Where hemp fits in
- The mantra that helps you remember the difference between indica and sativa
6. THC vs CBD
Everyone is talking about THC and CBD but do you really understand the difference?
In this module you will learn:
- about cannabinoids and what they are
- the major difference between THC and CBD
- which cannabinoid has the ability to cause impairment
- who may be susceptible to impairment
- what cannabinoid is best for daytime use
7. Introduction to Terpenes + Terpene Action Chart PDF
8. Intake Methods
To gain benefits from cannabis it needs to be taken into the body.
In this module we will explore:
- The three main categories of intake methods
- What intake method lasts longest in the body and which acts the quickest
- Why smoking cannabis is no longer recommended
- Vaporizing vs Vaping
- Using cannabis topically
9. Dosing Best Practices
There are a few best practices cannabis users should keep in mind. This short module lays them out in a logical sequence that you can follow along with.
10. How Safe is Cannabis Medicine
Cannabis is a very safe plant, however users should understand the few areas where caution is required. These include:
- The user’s age and current health
- Possible interaction with other prescription medications
- How the plant is grow
- Manufacturing methods
- Method of consumption
11. Side Effects
Following up on the safety module, this lesson on side effects goes a bit deeper into both undesirable side-effects and possible desired-effects of using THC. These include:
- Dizziness and disorientation
- Anxiety and paranoia
- Hunger, and more!
12. Accessing Medical Cannabis
When recreational cannabis became legal on Oct 17, 2018 the medical cannabis system in Canada remained largely unchanged.
Canada recognizes that cannabis use for medical purposes is a viable option for those looking for ways to manage and treat certain medical conditions.
There are certain steps a medical cannabis user must take to access cannabis for medical purposes. This module provides information on:
- Licensed Producers
- The cannabis ‘prescription’
- Growing cannabis for personal medicine
- THC restrictions
13. How to Choose Cannabis Products + Cannabis Dosing Journal PDF
Cannabis is unique in that it can be used as medication, a supplement, and a recreational product. This can make the task of choosing the perfect cannabis product overwhelming and confusing, especially for new users.
In this module we will explore:
- How to read a cannabis product label
- Cannabis product potencies
- Six considerations that will help narrow down product choice.
- A downloadable worksheet that helps you choose products and dosing journal to help you track your use.
14. Cannabis Potency Chart PDF
The Cannabis Potency Chart provides and at-a-glance guide to both dry herb and cannabis oil product potency to help when purchasing cannabis products. It is recommended that you print out the chart and keep it available for handy reference.
Remember when it comes to products containing THC, a higher potency is not always better and can lead to tolerance and uncomfortable side effects. Always choose the lowest possible THC potency to manage symptoms.
When choosing CBD products a higher potency may be more beneficial.
15. Medical Cannabis use in a Healthcare Facility
Caregivers are being asked to provide safe and effective cannabis dosing and administration for their patients in hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
This module covers:
- Recap of cannabis authorization for medical use
- Best intake methods for use in a healthcare facility
- Cautions to note when dosing cannabis
16. The Future of Cannabis: Medical vs Recreational
The new Cannabis Act came into effect on Oct 17, 2018, however the medical cannabis system was left largely unchanged. This modules explores the major differences between the two systems of cannabis legalization in Canada.
17. Cannabis for Common Health Conditions PDF (Basic Dosing Guidelines)
This downloadable e-booklet provides guidance on using cannabis to help manage 7 common health conditions. These include:
- Pain management
- Sleeping Disorder
- Mental Health
- Digestive disorders
- Neurological conditions
- Menstrual issues
Quiz and Certification
The quiz will help to ensure that you grasped the concepts taught in the workshop. You will find answers to the quiz on the handout and from notes you took during the class. If you feel unsure about any of the material, you can go back and review those modules prior to writing the quiz.
Your electronic certificate will be available for printing and download after successfully completing the quiz with at least 85%.
We hope you enjoy Caregiver's Guide to Cannabis Training Certificate